Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Inquiring minds want to SEE!!!!

So, you think you want to see me bald? (if you answered "no" to this question, I don't know what to tell you, just close your eyes and scroll on down to the rest of the post I guess.)This isn't easy for me, by no means, but I have been asked by a few close friends and it might help another young woman that is facing the same thing soon, so here ya go...

There are probably several family and friends, and maybe even people I don't know, saying it doesn't look that bad, and thanks for the comment, but I still avoid looking at my reflection as much as possible. I'm told that my wigs look great, very real, but I still don't wear them much, it's just too dang hot and humid here for that. I have been wearing one to church, but that's about it. And when I DO wear one, I usually pull it off as soon as I get back in my car headed home, thank goodness for tinted windows! But, today was my last "bad" treatment, and once it's out of my system then my hair should start to grow back!!!! My Dr told me today that I should still be using shampoo & conditioner, just like before, so my hair follicles would still be stimulated, and that in a few weeks I can start taking vitamins to help it grow back, prenatal vitamins will give it an extra boost to help it grow faster! Speaking of today's treatment, I wanted to give a step-by-step description of what goes on, don't think I have done this previously. Again, just in case you're interested or if it's someone just starting out. Of course, I'm sure that it's different at each office, but this is how it is where I'm treated. 9am...arrive and sign in, get blood drawn and return to waiting area, sometimes I'm lucky and get to go right back to a room. Wait a little bit then go to a room, get temp, blood pressure, and pulse ox read, get asked a series of questions about stuff like any rashes, bowel problems, urinary problems, night sweats, chills, etc. Wait for the dr, ask any questions I might have, and I usually have the same questions over and over cause I can't remember what I have asked, damn chemo-brain! (and just so you know, chemo-brain is very real! I get so frustrated cause I can't talk right sometimes, can't remember stupid lil things, get confuse easily, forget how to spell things I have been able to do for years, UGH, very crazy!) Oh, loose my train-of-thought TOO easy! LOL! Oh yeah, I'll get a physical exam if it's the FNP, but with clothes on, just mouth/throat, neck, breathing, heart, etc. apx.10am...Head back to the chemo room and pick out a chair and wait a few minutes til they have a chance to get me hooked up. I have to wait a tad bit longer if I forgot to ask the nurse to give me numbing cream when she took me back to the exam room, which I have done the past 2 times, and one of the onc nurses will put it on. Then they prep the area with betadine and alcohol, insert the port needle and do a heparin flush, then a little bit of a flush with saline, then a small bag of zantac, followed by a small bag of decadron and zofran for nausea. (please keep in mind that I can't spell right now and these dern medicines are not coming up on spell check, so I don't know if they are right or not!) Then comes the big bag of the "red devil" aka adrimiacin and when that one is all gone I get a big bag of cytoxin, and I HATE this stuff! It makes my sinuses hurt bad, right on the bridge of my nose will burn and it gives me an instant headache! We tried slowing the drip down today to see if it would help, but it didn't much. During this whole process I have to go to the little girl's room at least twice, most of the time more, pulling my iv pole around with me! And so around 1:30pm I was finished today. WooHoo! Everybody is different, but I usually don't start to have nausea til a few days later, maybe a mild headache the evening of a treatment, but nothing a couple ibuprofen can't handle. So, that's a dr's visit for me! We made several stops on the way home and stopped for a bite to eat, but when we finally did make it home, I found a beautiful surprise, wanna see?

Aren't they gorgeous?!?! My cousin, Tamitha, had been by to see me and we were gone
=(, I hated I missed them, but the flowers sure did brighten my day! So, Tamitha, Morgan, and Andrew, thanks so much I absolutely love the flowers, my favorite colors! Now it's time for a little r&r, Doug got called in to work, the house is empty, and I'm enjoying the peace and quiet for a little while. Thanks for coming over to read how I'm doing! Til next time...

10 comments:

Dianne said...

Kristi - I know to a woman her hair is her "crown of glory" and it surely must be sad to lose that! Remember these words: "And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away." (1 Peter 5:4) And on a very bright note - you have a beautiful round head and losing your hair has done NOTHING to take away the smile that is always in your eyes!

I admire you for all you are going through, how you are handling it, and ever so thankful that you are sharing your burdens. You surely will be blessed!

Love ya!
Dianne

Anonymous said...

Let me just say that was a curve ball and I didn't see it coming. You have the most beautiful eyes and the roundest head I have ever seen. Love you, Barbara

Anonymous said...

kristi you're just too pretty.. i love you.........i've tried to send you offline messages on yahoo.. are you not getting them?
i was trying ot let you know that i'm having to go thru everything again with Harley. her lymphoma came back and we had to go to knoxville yesterday and start chemo again.. keep us in your prayers .....you're always in mine..
LOVE YOU BUNCHES,
Bridgette

Anonymous said...

kristi

you are the same beutiful person that you have always been. you have such a great attitude. i hope all is well and this chemo treatment is not making you feel too sick. by the way we can not go camping until the 1st weekend in august. i hope u might still feel like going. if u do not here from me for a few weeks i have not forgotten u. i will be having some surgery. but as always, i will still pray for you and remember what a great friend you are. love ya lots
samantha

THIS, THAT AND EVERYTHING said...

Kristi,

I just had to post to tell you that, yes, you look beautiful - AND I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU - lol. But, you are braver than I am to post your picture. I am so glad to hear that you are finished the "bad" stuff. I don't miss it at all. I have my 2nd Taxol this Wednesday - mine are 3 weeks apart and I have 2 more after this weeks. They are SOOO much easier.

Take care - MaryAnn

Anonymous said...

Hey sissy i just wanted to write you and say that you do look beautiful no matter what. You will always be beautiful to me. I hope you get to feeling better soon....I LOVE YOU SISSY, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Love Always,
Danielle

Anonymous said...

I just want to say that you're simply beautiful hair or no hair! There is not one day that goes by that I don't think of you and continue to send those prayers up for ya. I'll be up soon to see ya. Love you bunches!
Tonya

Sherry said...

well, you did it to me again...
yes, I am sitting here crying with you. Kristi, now you know of all people to tell you that you look bad, it would be me...and I can't tell you that! I simply have to say you look more likd Kimjo without hair than you did with hair!! ROFLOL
I love you and tell kimjo I know this is just as hard on her...I love you both...maybe can get up to see you soon!
Sherry

Sherry said...

oh, and by the way, isn't it just so cute how all your facial features go together and one is not bigger than the other...cause if I lost all my hair, my nose would be the only thing most people would see!!!! ROFLOL!!!!
I am trying to get my nose unstopped from crying before I go to bed!!! LOL
Love ya!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You're beautiful Kristi, even if I only know you from the 3SB site, I think your beauty shows through no matter what.