Wednesday, June 06, 2007

One month til my big 30

...and this is what I do, lol! Today was my first round of chemo!! YAY for me, one down and 3 "mean" ones and 12 weekly ones to go! I can't tell you how bad I wanted to put this off until tomorrow, but I have no idea how I would feel and since I feel pretty "normal" right now, figured I better force myself, lol! I'll give you a re-cap of my day, from beginning til now. Got up, showered, got ready, put on my make-up in the truck (and I know Kim is probably rolling her eyes at this comment, lol) like I usually do when Doug is driving us somewhere, get mascara on my light pink shirt, go figure, make a pit stop at the bank, get a chicken biscuit, go to Lowe's to get some more tile for our tub, didn't have enough, so headed on to the Dr's office. Let me insert a "non-cancer" bit here, we are remodeling our bathroom, I'm sure I have mentioned that it has been completely gutted recently, and anyway, it's coming right along. The sheet rock is up, well 95% anyway, and the tub and toilet are in, plumbing ready, floor tile down and grouted, and we are currently working on the tile in the tub, and it's almost done. We would have finished this evening, but ran out of tile glue. I have to say that I am so excited about the bathroom, it is coming together so nice!! Ok, back to the regularly scheduled program...oh yea, got to the Dr's office, waited quite a while, as usual, Kim came in with a gift bag, all bright and cheery with tissue paper and curly ribbon hanging from it, and you will never guess the contents of such a pretty package... a can of Lysol spray, ROFLMBO!!! I would have never thought of that, but leave it to aunt Kimbo! Love it! Anyway, went back for the blood work, back to the waiting room, waited a little longer, then back to an exam room for blood pressure, temp, pulse-ox, heart rate, and something new for me this time, numbing cream over my port for the iv needle, lol! So I was given the option, and while I'm not a person afraid of needles, or even minds being stuck, I figure that if they offer it, take it! After all, I have been pricked quite a few times, to say the least, the past few months, right?! And in comes the dr, but it's not Pierce, who I usually see, it's a female, young, and very sweet and pretty. We (me, Kim, & Doug) all really liked her. Just like Dr Pierce, she was very informative and explained all the details of what to expect. After all of that was done, I was ready to get started, but the chemo room was jam packed full, no seats. We had to hang out in the employee lounge til a seat was available, lol, which was 30 minutes or longer. Walked in the room and it was filled with nothing but older people, I'd say the youngest after me was probably in their late 60's, if that, and if you are in that age bracket and reading this, please do not be offended. It was just more of a slap in the face that I am "too young" to have this disease. There were a total of 8 seats in the room, ranging from several black leather recliners, a few of them rocked, to a few of the reclining chairs that are in a lot of hospital rooms. I was in a rocker, and was glad of it, good way to ease some nervous tension. Doug sat in a regular chair close by and Kim decided to leave and do a little shopping since it was so crowded, and that was ok by me, I just made her promise to buy me something, lol! There was one tv in the room, but the volume was so low that only the person sitting right under it could have heard it, but there was too much chatter going on to worry about a tv anyway! Not to mention all the beeping from the iv monitors. I was given something orally and through iv for nausea, then the chemo meds, followed by a saline rinse. Not bad, not bad at all. I didn't feel any different during treatment except for a really bad headache, and that could have easily been stress. But when we were leaving, I stopped off at the bathroom, and one of the ladies that had just left the chemo room before me had come out, I was so disturbed by what I saw!!! I have to ask the Lord to forgive me and help me not pass judgement, cause after all, I don't know the ladies situation, but she hadn't flushed the toilet, and as I got closer, it was very obvious that she was one that doesn't sit on the seat to pee! It was covered!!!!! Here this is a dr's office, and germs are even more important than any other dr's office, and this is what happens! She had a younger woman with her, so it could/should have been cleaned up if the older lady wasn't able to do it herself. I guess it just freaked me out a little since I had just had a germ lecture, lol. Ok, sorry everybody, this re-cap has not come to an end, but I'm afraid I'm gonna have to take a break til later. Tired! Very tired, and a little queasy. Hopefully I will get up feeling ok and post the rest, or maybe tomorrow evening. I just can't promise you anything. To be continued...

2 comments:

Stacy Barton said...

Your my hero Kristi. Anything you need please call me. Fish fry is tomorrow so i will drop by after 8. Love ya Stacy

Anonymous said...

Kristi, You are on my mind a lot and I'm hoping you are having a "GOOD DAY". Love you much. Barbara K