Sunday, June 24, 2007

pure hell!

I'm sorry for such a blunt title, but that is what it has been the past couple of days! But it's not what you may think, I'm not sick from chemo, well a little, but that's not what this is all about. It's my hair. It started thinning a little on Tuesday, but you couldn't tell since I had pretty thick hair anyway, so I was ok. Had treatment on Wed, and it was still coming out a little, but not at it's worst. Then onThurs, Kim came in while I was in the shower and I was in tears, pretty bad. She knew what it was, my hair was coming out by the handfuls. And no matter how much I prepared myself, it just wasn't enough to make it easy. Friday morning came and Kim was asking if I was up to shopping, wig shopping! Her and Arlene was taking me shopping for a wig, even if I had said I didn't want one, they wanted to make sure I had one just in case. We went to two wig shops and I tried on I don't know how many styles, cuts, colors, etc. It ended up being a lot of fun, but also very tiring for me. I did come home home with not only one, but two wigs. One that looks a lot like what my hair looked like before I had it cut short for surgery, and then one that looks just like the cut I had, just in a really fun color, red! I'll try for pics later, but it will be a few days, I'm sure! I didn't go and shave it all off like I had planned. Instead, I sat outside Friday evening and just pulled it out, all that would come, and it just about ALL came out. And I would have went ahead with a razor, but my scalp was way too sore! Not from pulling it out, cause that was a breeze, but from trying on all the wigs. That's when reality sunk in a little more. It was important to me that my daughter see what was going on, she's has been having a hard time excepting the fact that mommy's hair was gonna come out so I wanted her to see how it was happening. Like I thought, she was upset, but Doug and I did everything we could to comfort her and tell her that it would grow back. That was hard. It was hard to walk by a mirror, and I could do it without crying. Call it vanity if you want, but I have had a hard time with it no matter what you call it. It's very depressing. Then today, my head wasn't quite as sore, so I let Doug take the clippers to it. Got me a nice buzz cut going on now, still hasn't made it any easier. I cried. I cried a lot. I'm still crying some. I try very hard to avoid seeing my reflection. I'm sure it will get easier, but right now it's not easy. It's hard. It makes me mad, it makes me sad, it makes me angry.

13 comments:

Melissa said...

Your head is actually sore from the hair releasing itself. Happens to everyone. Same thing happened when I finally lost most of my eyebrows weeks after chemo ended. They started to feel a little sore, I rubbed them and those little buggers started falling out everywhere. :( It sucks. I lost mine a year ago this coming week. Probably the hardest part. It's actually a tiny bit easier once most of the hair is gone.

Anonymous said...

Kristi,

God bless you and keep you in the shelter of his wings during this time. You are such a brave girl and I am amazed by your strength.

Praying for you and your family every time I think of you.

Love you,
Aunt Bobby

Anonymous said...

Kristi I wish there was something I could do to help you through the lose of your hair.. Jeff just told me to tell you he shaved his off for you today..lol You guys match. Your still beautiful hair or no hair. I love you, your my hero. If there is anything..ANYTHING I can do for you or the kids just ask me, doesn't matter how stupid it may sound either. Keep the faith, we are all parying for you

Anonymous said...

Kristi,
I am sorry that I haven't posted in a while. I am sorry about your hair but you are beautiful and will be without it. I admire you alot. If I can do anything for you, please let me know.

Love ya,
Kelly A.

Heather and Lance said...

Kristi, I am so sorry. If I can do ANYTHING for you at all, let me know. I am praying. Hugs and Kisses

Heather

Anonymous said...

Kristi, I cried for you while reading your blog. But you don't need your hair you are beautiful inside and out! Keep your head held high and we are still praying for you. Love ya, Stacy Webb

THIS, THAT AND EVERYTHING said...

Kristi,

I felt sad when I read this one - but sad for me, you and everyone going through this now, before and future. It's not fair, but God is with us and we have to keep that priority in our thoughts. I don't make a practice of looking at myself in the mirror without a kerchief, or something - it just makes me feel better. I just wanted you to know I understand and yes, as time passes, we will get stronger and stronger. You are, as always, in my thoughts and prayers.

MaryAnn

Angie said...

I wish I was in TN so I could give you a big ole hug. Love ya, girlie. :)
Angie

Anonymous said...

i love you kristi and i'm so sorry to hear what you are going thru. i tried to call you the other day, did you not get my voicemail? Call me when you can. I love you and i will be praying for you guys..

Love you always,
Bridgette

Anonymous said...

Kristi, You are a VERY brave girl to share you story with other, the good and the bad. It REALLY WILL help other that are currently going thru or will be going into treatment. I have learned a lot from what you have posted. I'm sending the link to my best friend,Ida, a seven year breast ca survivor. We have been hospices nurses together. I am sorry I'm not there for you the way I was for her. I love you so much. Barbara K

Anonymous said...

Kristi,

I found your blog through my friend Michelle's blog. Your story touched my heart because my mom is a three time breast cancer survivor (ages 35, 40, and 42). She just turned 61, has been cancer-free since the last time, and is living life to the fullest. Keep praying, keep fighting. I'm praying for you, too!

Anonymous said...

Kristi -i love you to pieces and im proud of you for being as strong as you are.I have ben wanting to check on you but didnt know how other than on here and my comp has been tore up. Atleast i can check on you now , i will keep praying for you and your family.I have told my famiy members to as well,I LOVE ya -Jaclyn

Anonymous said...

TODAY IS JULY 6, 2007
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR KRISTI
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
I KNOW I ALREADY TOLD YOU HAPPY BIRTHDAY TODAY, BUT I'M SINGING TO YA NOW..HA HA
HAPPY 30TH!!!!!!!

LOVE YOU ALWAYS,
BRIDGETTE