Wednesday, March 11, 2009

And the ball starts to roll...

I had my appointment with Dr. Pierce yesterday, he was my first oncologist two years ago, but had moved to a different office in Virginia. To have spent two hours listening to him talk, I still don't really know anything different. But I'm not complaining, that's the very reason I love this dr! He makes sure that Doug and I understand whats going on before he lets us leave. He's also very good about keeping up with the latest studies and research, so if there is something new to try, he knows about it. As a matter of fact, he told us he would be going to a conference in May for a lecture on triple negative breast cancer, which is what I have. Thankfully, there are more and more studies being done for triple neg, whereas, two years ago there were not that many. So this is a good thing for me!! Anyway, back to my visit, I left happy. I could leave you hanging at that, but I won't. He said that although he knew he couldn't have prevented it from coming back, he's pretty sure that he could have caught it sooner, had he still been caring for me. But we can't rely on the "what-ifs" so I'll just leave it at that. We still don't have a treatment plan in place, but for a good reason. He wants the biopsy results before he makes any definite decisions. He wants to make sure that it is, for sure, the breast cancer relocated. There is a possibility that it's a different kind of cancer all together, like lymphoma, so of course it would be a waste of time and resources to treat it as breast cancer if it's not, in fact, breast cancer. And your question now is, when is the biopsy? I have to be at the surgery center at 9:30 a.m. on Friday 13th! ACK!!! Good thing I'm not superstitious, huh! But Dr. Holt will perform the biopsy and put the port back in all at one time. Doesn't it sound fun? At least I like the dr!!! This will make the 3rd time I've been put to sleep, and the 4th procedure he has done on me! And then next week, I will be having a MUGA scan to make sure my heart is strong enough for chemo, a nuclear bone scan to so Dr. Pierce can get a closer look at the spots on my bones, and a MRI to make sure that the brain is clear of any spots. Those things will be done on the 17th and 20th, I think that's what I wrote down. The downside to seeing Dr. Pierce was that it's close to a two hour drive. The thing that makes it nice, besides being able to have him and Kelley back on my team of dr's, it's a new facility and it's super nice! There is no comparison with the last office he was in. The chemo treatment area then was a small room lined with recliners, which if several people reclined created an obstacle course for the nurses, and one tv that no one could ever hear, the chemo area in this new place was unbelievable! There were probably triple the chairs, there were half walls between each recliner, and a flat screen tv for EACH chair, oh and one whole wall was windows so you could see the gorgeous mountains of Va. I'm sure that he mentioned other things, but honestly, I can't remember half of what was said, I had a headache while I was there and it was hard focusing on what he was saying.
There is my update! Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers, they mean more than words could express!

7 comments:

Dianne said...

You continue to remain in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

I love you.....you are in my prayers every day

Tonya

Anonymous said...

OMG dont tell me it is back. I was hoping that it was a negative result and that you were fine. I know I haven;t been around that much but I thought about it and I think I am afraid of the whole thing. Your the first person I have known who has had breast cancer and I think I am afraid of losing you that I stay away so I wont get hurt. I didnt think of how having close friends helps you through it,for that I am sorry. I would really love to reconnect with you and go out to lunch or dinner. I truely miss you,Doug and the kids.. boy how they have grown.I will continue to pray for you and know that we prayed for Dougs dad at the last Fire Dept board meeting and I will be praying for both of you at our next board meeting on the 17th. I feel awful for the way I have been and hate to see you will be going through this all again. Your the strongest woman I know Kristi. I love you!!
Stacy
ps: call me sometime or stop by

Christie said...

Dear Kristi,
I think of you often and have kept up but have never written. You and Doug are two of the most wonderful people we have ever met. You took pity on strangers when they needed it most. You are strong and I know you can beat this, but unfortunately like you I know what it is going to take. I can only say you have our prayers and good thoughts. I know it may sound lame but you have us here in Caryville betting on you to come out on top!
Ondrea still speaks of Ethan and Autumn. You and Doug are amazing people and I will never be able to put into words how your kindness changed a grieving family.
The five of you will always be in our hearts and prayers.
Until next time and there will be a next time,
Chuck, Christie, Kellie and Ondrea

kimberlee said...

Hey Kristi!! Good luck today and if you need anything at all, not matter how silly, please call me or email or whatever! I'm here for you and you are in my thghouts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristi! I've been keeping up with your posts. Hang in there...You're a very courageous person. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted.

Mitzi

Sherry said...

Don't worry about going all the way to Dr. Pierce's office...you deserve the best!!!!!!!!