Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Diet anyone?

Anybody up for a diet? Looks like the TRAM flap reconstruction is a "no-go", at least until I lose enough weight. How much is enough? Try 60lbs or more! But, this dr did tell me that I would not have to use the tissue expanders if I wasn't comfortable with them and that he has done plenty TRAM procedures later down the road where the patient did NOT use them and there was no problem. So, basically, today's appointment didn't amount to much. Looks like I will be having the bilateral mastectomy with no reconstruction right now. And altho it seems like that is a lot of weight to shed, at least I have a goal to work towards, so I'm hoping that will make it a little easier. We did like this dr better, so that's a good thing, and we found out a little about insurance coverages that we didn't know too.
I had a message on my phone when we got out of the dr's office about my appointment with the oncologist, saying that they want to move my appointment up a day and wants me to call back. So, while I'm on the phone with my nurse, I ask if Dr Holt has gotten the results from my scans that were done this past fri. Looks like everything is ok! Hasn't spread and no more tumors were seen anywhere else! YAY!! She told me that Dr Holt was in surgery at the time but she would be seeing him around 1 o'clock and that she would let him know that reconstruction won't be done at the time of the mastectomy, that way they can go ahead and get me a surgery date! I'm really hoping they can get it done next week! As disappointing as it was being told I won't be able to have the TRAM, at the same time, it was a relief. It was a relief in the sense that recovery won't be as long as we were expecting and so summer plans are not gonna be interrupted as much as we thought. Oh well! I won't have a dr appointment until Thurs now, and maybe, just maybe, I will hear from Dr Holt tomorrow with a surgery date.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure hope you hear soon. We are keeping you close in our thoughts and prayers.
Heather

Anonymous said...

I hope you hear something really soon.
cathy

Angie said...

I'm just starting a diet, too!