Saturday, April 14, 2007

My options.

Here I am faced with 3 options that will have a huge impact on the rest of my life. How do you decide? I was given my options and told to just get in touch with the office and make my appt to see Dr Holt again when I had decided.
Option #1: Lumpectomy with radiation. If I just go with having the lump removed, the chances are pretty good that it will come back down the road, but not definite.
Option #2: Left mastectomy, with or w/out reconstruction. I can have just the left breast removed, but will have the chance in it developing in the right side later down the road.
Option #3: Bilateral mastectomy, with or w/out reconstruction. Have them both removed and move on with my life.
I knew almost as soon as we left the dr's office that I wanted to go with the last choice. I don't want to be paranoid constantly every time I feel something. I would be thinking there was a lump when there really wasn't, and with the life I have, I really don't have time to be worried about it all the time.
Now I need to decide on reconstruction. It's definitely something I want done, but had no clue what was available. I have read a lot about the TRAM flap procedure and that will be my number one choice. Now I will just have to wait til my appointment with the plastic surgeon to see if I am a candidate. The TRAM flap is where they reconstruct the breast using the person's own abdominal muscle, fat, and skin.
Get my appt made for 4/09. Went in to see Dr Holt, and let him know what I had decided. And agrees that the bilateral mastectomy w/ reconstruction was a good decision. Gets me an appointment with the plastic surgeon for 4/19. When I see him, then he'll let me know if TRAM flap will be possible and we will move on from there. Not sure if I have said it yet or not, but I am so ready to get this show on the road! Get it over with, already!!
So I guess that pretty much has the dr appointments up to date. The waiting is killing me! If you get a chance, and are the slightest bit interested, you should read about TRAM flap, it's really interesting!!

3 comments:

Snarky Mom Reads said...

Since you said you're using humor, I'm going to, too... Because you wrote that the TRAM flap is where they reconstruct the breast using the person's own abdominal muscle, fat and skin. And you know what, Kristi? I'm thinking if you wanted a tummy tuck, there could have been BETTER WAYS TO GET ONE!! {{hugs}}

twinshiner said...

you're in my prayers woman! I'm proud of you...get lemons..make lemonade. hugs, pj

Angie said...

Good choice. I totally feel you on the paranoia if you had gone another route. :)