Thursday, April 12, 2007

The next step, the biopsy.

Hectic morning, as usual. Get the kids to school, and the little one to Doug's mom's. We get to the office and had to wait a while in the waiting room, at least it felt like a long time anyway. Everytime the door opened that led back the hall, my heart felt like it was gonna jump out of my throat, I was a nervous wreck. A great big huge nerve pill would NOT have been a bad thing at that point! The lady took me back to have my bloodwork drawn and then we were free to leave for 45minutes. We ran over to Kmart since it was close, and then right back to the waiting room. Not any better this time, still nervous, almost to the point that I was getting an upset stomach. I was so relieved when they took me back, and the nervousness actually left me instead of getting worse. It was a small room, with a bed, the mammosite equipment, ultrasound equipment, the ultrasound tech, the nurse, the dr that was performing the procedure, and some how Doug managed to talk them into letting him stay, so it was cramped, to say the least. They get me all numbed up and bring out this thing that looks to me like an electric knife! I watched the whole thing on the screen and the Dr was really good about telling me what was going on, it was pretty interesting. Ok, all done, I can get up when she gets the bleeding under control and gets it bandaged up. They showed me the little container the samples were in, it looked like pieces of white rice floating in a little bit of blood. Sorry if that was too much. Doug goes out in the waiting room and was gonna call and let Kim know we were done, but she was there waiting on us! They took me back the hall for them to do another mammogram on the left breast to make sure the marker was there and in place, but when she started I went to bleeding, UGH! So here I was trying to put pressure on it while she gets the nurse and blood just dripping everywhere, lol! Got that stopped and I finally get to put my clothes back on! And the nurse walk me out to the waiting room and gives me a great big hug and well wishes. Let me say that this nurse, Greta, was amazing! She had called a few days ahead of time and let me know what I needed to do to be prepared for this day, and then was wonderful the whole time of the procedure, and has even called me on her own time since then to see how I'm doing. God knows exactly who you need and just when you need them, and although she was a complete stranger, I felt as tho I had known her for a very long time. All in all the biopsy was not bad at all, the worst part was that my left arm had fallen asleep because I had to keep it under my head while it was being done. Then I thought it was healing REALLY fast, it was itching like crazy that evening and the next day. Come to find out, the steri-strips had made blisters on my skin! Not fun!! Time for another waiting game, yippee! Won't be able to see Dr. Holt for the results til 4/04. Luckily we ended up pulling the camper over to Davy Crockett Birthplace State Park for the wknd, and since the kids were on spring break the following week, we even stayed and extra night, and came home on Monday evening. It was a wonderful camping trip, the weather was just right, the park was so peaceful and not too busy so the kids were able to ride their bikes and play, you could here the river flowing, it was just what I needed!
Altho I had read that 80% of lumps were benign, I knew not to make the mistake of only preparing myself for good news. Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best, right? And that's just what we did. But I think I already knew it in my heart, without having to hear it from the dr.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I could tell that you knew. I didn't want it to be true...but we can't control our destiny. You might be the person that saves someone else's life by them reading your story and checking...even in their 20s. I know it certainly makes me more aware.