Sunday, April 22, 2007

Friday, April 20

Friday was a busy and hectic day, so I didn't have a chance to post anything. We got home from camping a little while ago and thought I would try and get this thing caught up.
Friday, we had to be at the Johnson City Medical Center at 7:30 am. Got there, but didn't know exactly which door to go in, there were two choices in this particular area, the door where all the employees were going in and then there was the "Cancer Center". They did mention at the dr's office that I would need to go to the cancer center, so I wasn't expecting to go there, and we went the other door, and walked down the hall to the heart center, knowing that's not where I needed to be, but at least there would be someone to point me in the right direction. The lady was real nice and I asked her where I needed to if I was having a PET/CT scan done and this is the response I get "Oh, honey, you need to go back out these doors and over to the cancer center." She had no clue how that made me feel, not that she said anything wrong, but just hearing somebody say that I needed to be in the cancer center was like a slap in the face! That was a BIG DOSE of reality, let me tell ya! When we had first pulled in the parking lot and I read that sign over the doors, I just casually thought that I may have to visit there one day, but thought nothing else about it. Ok, so anyway, we went in, get signed in and everything, sit down to wait our turn, and wait, and wait, and wait. We sat in that waiting room for over and hour. And it wouldn't have been as bad if I hadn't been told that I needed to drink about 30oz of water before this procedure, but thankfully I was allowed to empty my bladder if I needed to, and yes I needed to, three times to be exact! When I returned from my last bathroom visit, she was waiting there to take me back and get started. Here we are in this little tiny room, I have a seat, she checks my sugar levels, gives me some yucky stuff to drink, and then an iv in the arm, OUCH! It wasn't that she was rough, it just hurt! When that was all done, she laid that chair back that I was sitting in and put a blanket over my legs and told me that if I needed anything that I could wave toward the camera or just come out in the hallway, and turned the lights down as she went out the door. At this point, I would have given anything to have my mp3 with me, but I didn't, so I just laid back and took me a little nap, lol! When I woke up, my bladder felt like it was gonna pop, so I had to get up and go find the restroom, again, lol. I didn't have my watch on so I had no idea how long I had been asleep. I returned back to my little room and had just gotten comfortable again when another nurse came in and told me they were ready and that she needed me to empty my bladder, ha, one step ahead of ya, lady! The test itself wasn't bad, but what they have you lay on was terrible! It looked like a board, lol, and it also looked a lot more narrow that I am, so I knew it wasn't gonna feel too good. By the time they were done, about 20-30min, it felt like my back was broke. Right down near my tailbone, it was just burning!! It was all I could do to not wiggle around and get some relief on that one spot, but I wasn't suppose to move during the procedure, and I sure didn't want to have to go through it all again just because I moved! Well, that was done, got to put my bra back on, and I was done! She told me that my dr's office should give me a call maybe Mon or Tues to let me know the results. I'm pretty sure it's just to see if there are anymore tumors in my body. It really gives me a peace of mind knowing that too! So that was my first experience visiting the cancer center.

No comments: