Thursday, May 10, 2007

One week ago today...

Right now it's a little after 6am, been up a little while, couldn't sleep. So I thought now would be a good time to get updated on my blog. Didn't even realize that one week ago today was when my surgery was, as a matter of fact, I was just getting into my hospital gown right about now. Kim and Billy was waiting for us at the hospital, and Dad and Arlene came in just a few short minutes after that and then my mom and her friend Cathy. It was nice to have them all there to help keep my mind off of what was about to happen, I was losing my breasts for heavens sakes, I think I was entitled to a little chit chat to keep me occupied, right? They came to get me around 6:45, give or take a few minutes, it was time for the "I love you"s and "we'll see you in a little while" and all those things. Handed my glasses over to Doug, and a sweet tender kiss accompanied by a few tears and we had to say bye for the moment. I can't see anything without my glasses or contacts, so I was so uncomfortable with that alone, not to mention everything else that was going on. They got me an iv started and gave me something to relax me a little and it was working quite well until my surgeon came to me with the dye to inject in my left breast. This was going to help him see the lymph nodes, and that HURT!!!! So much for me being all relaxed, the pain from that needle in my breast, at the nipple area, none the less! But thankfully, it wasn't long after that they took me on back to the operating room. I can't remember exactly what song was playing, but I do remember it was one that I liked myself, and I remember the nurse anesthetist, which was a very handsome male, was trying to make me comfortable by making small talk and something was said about feeling like I had had a few beers, lol!! No, I don't drink, but it was funny, whatever it was, lol! Then the mask and I was in la la land, having me a good ole nap! Then next thing I remember was waking up in recovery and I was burning up! And getting so hot made me nauseous, and I was trying to tell that nurse and she would just tell me that I was ok it was where they had in me in a bear hug,( heated blanket) but she wouldn't make any effort to make me comfortable. Where I was still groggy, my speech was slurred, so I don't know if she didn't understand me or just wouldn't do anything about it, but either way I was getting very frustrated, and that didn't help the nausea any! I remember crying when I woke up and just had this incredible need to see Doug, I just felt like I missed him so much and I NEEDED him there with me right then, and of course he couldn't be in the recovery room, so there was another thing not going my way, lol. But then I do see a familiar face, it was Greta, the nurse that had assisted in my biopsy. She was such a blessing and comfort then, and had called a couple of times after my biopsy to see how I was, so she is kinda special to me. She had seen Doug in the hallway and came in to find me, she held my hand and told me that he was waiting on me, and I think she walked out with me when they were taking me to my room, but by this time I was fighting back the nausea so bad that I can't remember what was going on. I was telling them that I was sick, and was handed this little bitty kidney shaped pan, and I knew that I would not be able to hit that little thing, so I was trying my hardest to hold it back. They got me to my room and in my bed, after several "rests" cause I thought I would be sick, but just as soon as I was in my bed, I knew I wouldn't be able to hold it any longer. I seen the bigger pan at the end of my bed and was pointing to it and Doug couldn't figure out what I needed, bless his heart, he was picking up everything! The pan, finally, made it's way to my head, and that was it! So they finally gave me something to ease my stomach, and something to head off the pain, so I was once again in la la land, sleeping like a baby! So I pretty much slept the rest of the day, til later in the evening, Kim and Doug managed to get me up and in the bathroom, then they changed me into the gown I had brought, and I sat up in the bed for a little bit. Had some ice chips, then a diet sprite. I had "room service" to bring me a little cup of orange sherbet, and when I say little, I mean LITTLE! But, it tasted good in my mouth, and was cool and smooth. Then I had Doug go out to Chick-Fil-A to get me some chicken nuggets, took me a little while, but I finally got those down. As far as visitors, of course Kim and Doug was with me, and my cousin Tracy stopped by and brought me some beautiful flowers, then Dad and Arlene came back that evening, but that was it. Kim brought me breakfast Fri morning, and it was good! Nothing much happened, Dr. Holt came in and said I could go home. Dad and Arlene showed up right when I was dressed and ready to go, so they decided to go get our lunch and meet us at the house. Nothing much more happened that day, so I'm gonna close this post up. I have a couple appointments today, one is lab work for the oncologist, and then I go back to see Dr. Holt. I'm really hoping that my drains come out today, they are getting to be aggravating! And he will also take the bandaging off of where the port was placed, and that will be a good thing cause it has been itching me like crazy, that's a sign of healing, if I'm not mistaken. So anyway, til next time....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristi,

I am so grateful that you are doing so well. Hope you got those drains out. Betty

Sherry said...

Kristi...I hope you and Kim aren't crying as much as I am...I just put off going to your blog till I can't stand it anymore, cause I know I will just sit and cry!!! I can't imagine how Kim feels, I guess it has something to do with us both being nurses and all...I don't think I have been as close to anyone.
Morgan just came into the room, and of course I was crying. I apologized and told her why I was crying. She asked about how you were doing and the situation. I explained to her about it being hard for you to look at your "bare chest". She kinda laughed and said, "Imagine looking down and seeing your feet." Well, that made me laugh, cause, if my breast were removed, I would probably be amazed that I had feet!!! LOL No, really, there would be no danger of me seeing my feet, cause I am sure my belly would block that view...well, you know me, it is hard for me to stay serious. Well, I love you very much and am praying for you lots and have my church and prayer group prayign for you also. Oh, and you know, I totally look at the pink ribbons so different now. It is amazing how this affects not only you, but everyone in your life, right?
Can't wait to see you. I want to try to come up soon and pay you a visit...
Love Sherry